Tuesday 16 December 2014

Dreaming of GB United



Rachel (see bloglinks) pens a football poem which reminds me that I have a small stock of footy poems and when I look for them it turns out to be 11 poems plus one haiku, and they are stored at http://www.footballpoets.org/ filed under the name 'Gwil Williams' (sic). 

 I picked Dreaming of GB United for today's post simply because it's at the top of the list; so it must be a goal-keeper. 


Best swerves, passes it 
to Gascoigne who
pushes it out to Giggs. 
The Welshman sprints 
cuts inside 3 defenders 
slots it to Best
who cleverly backheels it 
to Dalglish
who taps it sideways to
the man running in . . .
it's Shearer
who sends it like a rocket 
into the top corner.
Ten-nil
to GB United.
Another Jules Rimet Trophy 
for the cleaning lady 
in the National Stadium 
in Wales.
Manager Clough leaps for joy. Orders two pies with his fingers!

________
comment -
Instead of dreams we only have nightmares
________


The Team List

1. Dreaming of GB United 
2. Five Minutes in Venice 
3. Over the bar
4. Bex and Posh Nativity Scene 
5. Brian Clough Haiku
6. Silver Balls
7. Banks of England
8. Postcard from Blackpool
9. A Game of Two Halves 
10. Goalkeeper Kahn
11. Best we saw 

Substitute: 
12. Austria Memphis

2 comments:

  1. I always wished that Giggs had chosen to play for England, he could have done. I cant wait to read your football poems. I will look later. I have a few more myself and will look them up.

    I like your poem titles. I cant wait to see Five Minutes in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem Gwil - I must say they don't make 'em like that any more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.